Monday, May 17, 2010

college

Every year I get to re-live my freshmen year of college through all the incoming freshmen and their parents. They are so excited, nervous, energized and anxious all at the same time! I recently found a copy of this email I got years and years ago when I was in college and saved because it really spoke to me then...it still speaks to me now! What I have learned is that some things don't change, through the distance and the years, somethings never change and I am so appreciative of that!




Somewhere between the procrastination
and the homework
and the incessant forwards
and the new friendships
and somewhere between the phone calls to old friends,
and the I miss you's and the I love you's
and the I can't wait to see you again's,
and somewhere between all of the changing and growing,
and somewhere between the classes and the skipping classes,
and the studying for tests and the pretending to study for tests,
and the downright not studying for tests...I forgot.


I forgot what it was like to be in high school,
I forgot what it meant to cry,
I forgot that pretending to be happy doesn't make you happy,
I forgot that you can't just forget the past.
Forgot that you can't control falling in love
and that you can't make yourself fall in love.


I learned that I can love.
I learned that good food doesn't really seem great
until you can't have it anymore
and I learned that even I would grow to love Grilled cheese and tomato soup.
I noticed that I get along better with my mother now than I ever did before,
I learned that going to college means making choices
and that making choices can get you in trouble.
I learned that it's ok to mess up,
it's okay to ask for help
and that it's okay to feel like crap.


I learned that sometimes the things that you want most, you just can't have.
I learned that the greatest thing about college isn't the parties
or the drinking, or the boys,
it's the chances--
taking the chances and then making the most of them.


I learned that sometimes the things we want to forget are the things,
which we most need to talk about.
I learned that once you get to college,
things don't automatically get better,
it's what you make of them.
I learned that letters from friends are the most important things
and that sending cards to your friends makes you feel better.
I learned that home isn't necessarily where I went to high school,
but where ever I wanted it to be
I learned that my mom seemed to get a lot smarter
once I started listening to her.
I learned that I miss my sister.
I learned that high school was good for me
and that the challenges in high school are nothing.


Somewhere along the line,
I learned if you look for love you'll never find it
I learned that some people will do anything
to try and make you see their point.
I learned that its easy to have views,
its easy to have friends,
but that its hard to stick up for both of them if everyone else disagrees,
but I learned its worth it to stick up for both of them in the long run.
I learned that I don't have to be the center of attention to have fun,
and I learned that begin the center of attention isn't always fun.
I learned that laughter is the best medicine
and that friends who make you laugh are the best kind to have.
I learned that there is a fine distinction between friendship and love
and that friendship is the more valuable of the two.
I learned that sometimes it's not always possible to agree
and that sometimes it's necessary to compromise.


I learned that kisses aren't contracts.
I learned that I am my own person.
I found out that I am just starting to find out about me.
I learned that it's never too late to change.
I learned that change is good sometimes.
I learned that no matter what happens, they still care about you.
I learned that you should tell people how you feel about them.
I learned that sometimes I need to be alone.
I learned that some of the most valuable lessons in life
are the ones you can't teach in a classroom.
I learned that no matter what I want to be,
I have to take a class that I don't like in order to get there.


I learned that college is different from everything I thought it would be.
I learned that life isn't always about me.
I learned that I should stick up for myself.
I learned that that is hard to do.
I learned that people should like me for me,
and that I should like me for me.
I learned that naps are good,
and that when I get angry,
I shouldn't take my frustrations out on someone else.


I learned that things change and people change
and that it is not always possible to stay in touch with everyone.
I learned that some people are your friends for life,
even when you doubt it.
through fights, and being apart for what seems like forever,
they are still there.
I learned that you always know in your heart
that because you are friends everything will be okay.
I learned that friends make everything better
and that I should thank all of my friends for being there for me
and helping me learn.
I learned that I have a lot to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Totally crying on this one!!!! Thank you for posting this, means the world and totally what I wanted to hear!

    ReplyDelete