Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Job!

I GOT A NEW JOB! As excited as I am about my new position at Northern Virginia Community College I am sad to leave Shenandoah University. I have had 5 amazing years at SU. I love everything about a small school. The relationships students make with each other, faculty and staff is priceless. I truly believe in education and believe a college education is in no way a right, but a privilege. When I began working at SU 5 years ago I really thought I would be here for a year, and then move closer to the city. I honestly have to say I fell in love with the small town lifestyle and will miss Winchester more then I ever thought.

Five years ago I could have never predicted working one day in Residence Life, let alone 5 years. I never predicted my 2am wake up calls, my midnight conversations with students and most importantly seeing the students grow from first year students to outstanding young adults getting ready to graduate.

The 2010-11 Residence Life staff has been outstanding! I cannot say enough about their positive attitude and courage in approaching their peers. Thank you for all you do for SU.



My new journey is an exciting one. I will be working on creating an Orientation Program for the Distance Learning students at NOVA in Annandale. It will be a completely different experience for me in every way. I will not be able to run over to Funk/Gore to chat with Oscar the amazing housekeeper. I will not be able to take a break and walk around campus just to get some fresh air. Most importantly I will not have the everyday conversations with students that make me laugh so hard I fall onto the floor and cry or attend conferences with them and see the amazing presentations that they create on their own. These past 5 years have been so memorable but I know I will make more memories as I work with faculty, staff and students at NOVA.

The decision to leave SU in the middle of the semester was a hard one. I know leaving SU at any time would be hard, but in the middle of the Spring Semester is incredibly hard. I will be missing all the April Festivities...Leadership Awards, Relay for Life, RA Banquet, Apple Blossom, check out and Graduation! The end of the semester is such a fun time!! I will be thinking of everyone.

I have made such amazing relationships with so many people on campus. I am going to miss everything about working at a college. I am going to miss going to the cafeteria. I am going to miss 3rd floor Funk. I am going to miss staff meetings with my Racey RAs! I am going to miss my staff meetings with Funk/Gore. I am going to miss the office with the Cooley girls...Amanda, Sherri, Jen--You have each made each day so bright! I am going to miss harassing the maintenance boys for everything I need! I am going to miss the cat walk through the Cooley Hallway. I am going to miss my RAs stopping in throughout the day just to see what I am up to. I am going to miss all my RAs constantly asking what I do all day. I am going to miss my Cooley apartment (hot, cold, loud, quiet, etc). I am going to miss walking to work. I am going to miss my reserved parking space. I am going to miss SU.

I can't wait to share about my first day at NOVA!!

love you all!!! Peace out Girl Scouts!! xoxo.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I'm going to miss the crazy stories about (good and bad!) students. Good luck. You are going to do great and everyone will love you!

    ReplyDelete